Skip to main content

Copyright and Attribution Tips

All content (unless otherwise credited) are copyright Wilson Lin. My work is protected under the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) of 1998.

If you are a commercial entity desiring to use my content you  need to first obtain a licensing agreement from me. Please contact me for pricing information at this email address: eattraveleat (at) gmail (dot) com.

If you do not fit into the criteria above but still would like to use my content, please contact me also at eattraveleat (at) gmail (dot) com. I am very content to allow you to use my work for non-profit use, but please contact me first for written permission.

----
Attribution tips:

Many people take work without citing their source-- essentially proclaiming work that is not theirs is theirs. This video (here) for example had pictures of the Island Shangri-La from Tripadvisor (including my own that I uploaded onto Tripadvisor) which were used without permission; as a result it has been removed. Taking someone else's work and treating it as if is yours without their permission is essentially breaking copyright laws (with some exceptions made for education purposes only). If you happen to know nothing about attribution or copyright though, below are some of my attribution tips. Remember, please get my written permission before using my work. Thank you!

For Photos:
Take this as an example to base off of:

Island Shangri-La Cafe Too: Lunch Gelato
"Island Shangri-La Cafe Too: Lunch Frozen Treats" by Wilson Lin, from the post "cafe TOO at Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong: Introduction"

Some also credit like this (also fine):

Island Shangri-La Cafe Too: Lunch Gelato

The link to flickr which is in the picture's HTML code must be retained, and the link to my blog would be greatly appreciated!

For Text:
A. If you are writing a paper (scholarly work), use my content as necessary with in text citations like the format instructs you to do so (example MLA format).

You may also need a Works Cited page in the paper for which you cite all the sources that you have used- follow the format's instructions as to how to cite one of my posts or the website. Here is a example as to how to cite one of my posts for a Works Cited page (this is MLA format, with my real name for your citation needs):

Lin, Wilson. "Cafe TOO at Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong: Introduction." Eat. Travel. Eat!. Blogger, 7 Apr. 2011. Web. (Date of Access).

B. Writing online, please link somewhere in the sentence to Eat. Travel. Eat! and preferably also to the post being referenced. Example:

Wilson Lin of Eat. Travel. Eat! says that "there is also freshly whipped cream, powdered sugar, and pancake syrup along with other condiments that go along well with pancakes and waffles available at cafe TOO in Island Shangri-La."

For Videos:
I highly suggest not using my videos for any usage but if you do so, you may only use an excerpt or part of the video, and no more than 1/3 of the video at once. When making the video you may not alter the sound or image quality. Please also remember to credit the creator of the video.

Simply just linking (no putting photos/text/video)?
Well then, when you are linking, please link to the homepage of Eat. Travel. Eat! and to the article you are referencing. That way you not only help your viewers understand what you want to say about what I have.


For example:

Wilson Lin did a review on The Clubhouse at Costa Mesa recently which I highly suggest reading.

or (for the Purdue Online Writing Lab)

I highly recommend using the website The Purdue Online Writing Lab as it has plenty of information on citations and ways to improve on writing.

If you have any additional questions or are confused by any part of this post, please contact me at eattraveleat (at) gmail (dot) com. I will be happy to reply to you as soon as possible!

And as a side note, if you are using my content for educational, non-commercial purposes (e.g. class presentation in class using my information as background), I will allow. (Education for most circumstances can override copyright laws)  I would like to know however that you are using my content though, so that I will not be surprised to see it if I happen to find it on web. Thanks!

Comments

Patti Londre said…
Well written, so thorough. You are very generous to contribute to all our education, thanks for that. I just had my first rip-off, here is my experience and a few lessons: http://worththewhisk.com/2009/08/17/bloggers-protect-your-content/
Keep up the good work! Your blog is terrific.
EatTravelEat said…
Patti,
Thanks for the compliments! Your experience and tips are very helpful too :). In fact I also did the stuff you did for the Flickr photos with the exception of the photo linking which I will try to do if I have extra time, but I have to also access my older photos which are not in the first 200.
Unknown said…
Hi there!

I just came across your blog today and saw this post. I also recently discovered that someone has stolen the contents of my blog (post and photos) - they basically copied the whole thing and pasted it on their website. Needless to say I was quite upset. I think I'll have to do something like this to.

You have a great blog, too, by the way.

Alice
EatTravelEat said…
Alice,
Thanks for the compliment!

Isn't it so annoying when people steal content? Especially when you think of the time you took to wrote it. This post above took me about 3 hours.

I think it is a good idea to write out the page but it must be prominent in each post and page so that viewers notice :). Trying to find out a good way to do that.